Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Light at the End of the Tunnel


Yesterday, we had our Baccalaureate Mass and the traditional Recessional by the Graduates aka exiting the Arch of the Centuries. First we had the parade, then the mass itself, the lighting ceremony, the fireworks display and then the exiting.

Photo taken by Kate Soriano
First off, the Arch of the Centuries is described by Wikipedia as "(it) puts together,back-to-back, the ruins of the original Intramuros arch, which faces the Main Building, and its replica, fronting Espana Boulevard." So basically, it is a remnant of the original entrance to the university when it was still located at the Intramuros.

For those who does not know the symbolism of this Arch, according to tradition, all incoming students including freshmen and transferees, are to cross over the arch as part of their initiation rites in an "event" called Thomasian Welcome Walk which usually occurs at the month of July of that academic year. At the same time, students who are candidates for graduation are to again cross over or exit the same monumental arch during a parade at the end of the Baccalaureate Mass.

The myth of this Arch goes something like after a student passes through the arch during the welcome walk, he/she should not cross over the arch again until during his baccalaureate mass or until graduation. If he does not abide and decides to pass under the arch earlier, something will happen which will not allow him to graduate. As funny as it may sound, Thomasians abide by this tradition. Most, if not all, are afraid of even going near the arch.

Maybe this tradition makes exiting the arch more exciting and more memorable. Add that to the overwhelming feeling of being able to graduate and being FINALLY done with your undergraduate degree. Maybe this excitement is what made us run as we passed through the arch. :D Sobrang onti lang ng tinakbo namin but it was a bliss. Yung feeling na everyone was shouting for us and congratulating us as we passed through the arch, kakaibang feeling. Feeling talaga ng tagumpay!

Photo by Myra Dolencio. I'm there, somewhere.=))
And oh, how can I forget the majestic fireworks display? <3 the 5-minutes fireworks display from the school who gives the best pyromusical display is enough to cap off our 5-year stay in the university. I must admit that I'm not really a fan of fireworks, but I guess when the fireworks is displayed for you, it makes everything nakakakilig. <3 and yes, I enjoyed the fireworks this time. :D

Photo taken by my good friend, Marc Henrich Go


Lastly, during the lighting ceremony, I must admit that I was a bit sad and emotional. Being in the bacc mass, it made me think about my 5 years of stay in the university. Also, it made me realize that after a few days, graduation day will soon come and I will eventually have to leave the university, say see you later to my friends and batchmates and eventually study medicine proper in another school. Kakaiba pala yung feeling pag kinakanta mo yung UST Hymn with your candles and while facing the Main Building. It sent shivers down my spine. Here's what it looked like. :>
Photo taken by Mel De Leon
However, what made me real sad is the fact that one of my groupmates will not be able to graduate with us. =( Starting this year, there were 5 of us in the group, but as we ended the year, only the four of us were left. </3 It was heartbreaking to realize na apat na lang pala kami.

Group 7 (L-R). Ching, me, Cams and Mico.
Here are other photos that I have taken during the mass. Mostly with the people I love. :)
(L-R). Sheena, Chari, Kat, and Linne
(L-R). Ria, Nelli, Josh.

Group 7, again. :)
(L-R). Jehn, Phoebe and Jem
With my closest college friend, Jem. <3

My Starbucks Buddy, Linne!

with my Yellow Jackets friend, Gaboi,

my OLLH loves, (L-R), Jotee and Jayann 


(L-R), Jayann and another YJ Friend, Aton! :)

Racquel! :)

(L-R) Nico, Laisa, Raquel, Bojee

Nonetheless, I am very grateful that after 5 long years of sleepless nights, of reading books and handouts and manuals, of memorizing whathaveyous, of countless practical exams and written exams, of hundreds-of-hours of duty and of written and oral revalidas, we are finally done. Truly a light at the end of the dark and long tunnel.

Hugs. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment